Saturday, October 8, 2011

Dirty Feet


This afternoon I am headed to the Texas countryside for a much needed dose of nature and stargazing. No computers, no cell phone reception and the radio (and my shoes) will be off.

When you think about it, there is no denying that we live in an unnatural world. Ask yourself this: How many chemicals are in your hair, on your skin, under your feet and in your mouth at this moment? I’m guessing more than you realize.

To further emphasize my point, we also do our best to wash the dirt off of our feet as quickly as possible, run inside from the rain and mow our lawns because “tall” grass has somehow become “ugly” grass.  Additionally, we kill insects without a second thought and with no regard for their life. We also eat food that has been squirted from devices and containers. Perhaps you should ask yourself how far you from being connected to the planet, the stars and all of the other life around you.

If this is true for the physical world, it is also true for the spiritual world. To assume that our thoughts and beliefs are not affected directly would be silly to say the least. Think about this the next time you are asked “paper or plastic” or if you’d rather spend your time in front of a TV instead of being outside. Do you prefer bottled water?

So what’s the bottom line?

Gauging how far you live from the natural world is a great way to determine how fake you really are. 

1 comment:

  1. Just how attuned to nature are you, John? The more you contemplate life, the less secure you feel in doing anything. I have a theory about you, but won't share at the moment.

    I try to avoid killing insects whenever possible, BTW. In fact, I became vegetarian a few years ago, because devouring meat seemed suddenly a very "alien" thing to do to my natural body.

    The only understanding between life and I, is that no life form shall invade my house and attack. Hence, I mourn the death of many cockroaches and mosquitoes who had it coming.

    Be careful looking to closely into the window. Sometimes the window reflects back.

    ReplyDelete